Background

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What are Plankton?


Okay. Its been a while since I've updated the blog here but had to share a funny.

We started Zoology 2 or Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day. This book is part of the Elementary science series from Apologia science. We just began the book this week and so far we've really enjoyed it and learned a lot in the first few pages.

The first chapter began about the wonders of God's creatures then slowly worked its way into types of fish , plankton, types of plankton and filter feeders. As I am reading this I can see my daughters envision Spongebob. How do you know they were?

As I read this to them they sat there intently and after I finished I began to ask them questions about what I read. I asked them things like what a nektonic animal was ( for those of you who don't know , they are swimming creatures) and what benthic animals were ( animals that creep, jump, crawl or hop in the sea) and asked them for examples. Then I jumped into the question about what were plankton? My 5yr old who had been listening all the while without me knowing it raises her hand. So I thought I would let her chime in with her answers since her big sisters were answering them all. She proudly with a smile told me " He has one eye, two arms, two legs and drinks coffee!!" She was referring to Plankton from Spongebob. Hannah gave us such a much needed laugh that we pretty much ended our science session with that. I look forward to reading more and seeing what my girls come up with next!LOL.

No comments: