Background

Friday, May 9, 2008

Lapbooking










So sorry that we haven't updated in a while . We've been so busy with our new projects . We have found lapbooking . What is lapbooking you say ? Well , its being able to put your textbooks and workbooks aside and be creative and still learn at the same time . Its almost like scrapbooking but in an educational sort of way .
I decided to give it a try and made a My Colors lapbook for Hannah . She's had such a difficult time remembering her colors that I thought this would the best way to start . So we started and Hannah and I really enjoyed it , then Marilyn saw us doing it and wanted to create one of her own , then Katie decided she wanted to make one of her own too ! So I have had three lapbooking going at the same time .
Now I haven't purchased the already made lapbooks . Its taken me some time in the evening and research , which Marilyn did quite a bit on her own . But we've made it work .
The first lapbook is of Hannah's color book . The picture on the front was given to us by Maggie's speech therapist so I'm not sure where she got it from . Then on the inside we found lots of color worksheets from www.first-school.ws This is where the majority of the worksheet stuff on her lapbook came from, as well as the color flash cards . I also created a color wheel and a flapbook with all of the colors , in which I typed in small type the words of each color and glued them on there as well . The colored squares I got from ABC Teach ( www.abcteach.com ) . I had to go to the preschool section and click math , then counters . There they had colored markers that I just printed and cut out . This was a very easy lapbook to make.

Then Marilyn's lapbook was a bit more complicated . The subject she chose was Julius Caesar . This one took quite a bit of research . The front picture of the book came from Karen Whimsy's website of hand drawn clip art . We looked at several before she came to a decision on which one she wanted . The bottom strip and the strip on the inside came from PBS's website on Ancient Rome (www.pbs.org/empires/romans/empire/augustus.html ) as well as the small picture on the inside of the map of what the Roman Empire was like during that time . The pictures of the people in Caesar's life was clip art from websites like Wikipedia and a website called Brutus. We sat down and made books of each , Pompey the Great, Mark Antony , Brutus and Marcius Cassus , two of these men made up Caears first Triumvirate ( meaning three mean in Latin ) . Then I printed out the lined paper from Notebookpages.com for the inside to tell a little about Caesar . I also used www.homeschoolhelperonline.com to print out our template for the wheel Marilyn made to show some of the other family members in Caesar's dynasty that ruled after him . The template for the book shaped book the match book were also from this site . The little matchbook question and answer books that we have on the inside as well as the timeline was from Notebookpages.com .
It has taken me all week to get things together and for us to get it done . But it was so worth it and today Marilyn was so proud of her lapbook that she is ready to start another . She is thinking birds this time .
Katie is finishing up hers . Her book is much bigger then Marilyn's so its going to take a bit more creativity . But we're close to getting it done . So all I can say if anyone wants to buy gifts for the girls get us lots of printing paper white , different colors , construction paper , velcro , glue and printer ink ! LOL . No really that would make a great Christmas gift for them .
We also finished up Androcles in Writing Tales and I will be posting pictures of this tomorrow . So with a further a due here are Hannah and Marilyn's first lapbooks .


2 comments:

momluvs4kidz2000 said...

The link worked for me this time. :) Terrific lapbooks, and I liked reading your other entries, too! Thanks for sharing, cause I might check out Writing Tales.
Linda (from lapbooking yahoogroup)

Kristenph said...

Your lapbooks look great. It's wonderful to see kids enjoying learning.

Kristen (from lapbooking yahoogroup)