Background

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

VACTERL Conference 2011 and Summer Vacation


So sorry about the lack of blogging. Was of course having some technical difficulty with my blogger site. Thankfully I was able to figure it all out now and I should be up and ready to go.

We have been having a lazy laid back kind of summer. Not to much going on but enough to keep us slightly busy and not to bored. The girls have had fun with Vacation Bible School, the Corry Festival, being in a parade are some of the activities we've done so far.
But by far our ultimate activity will be on this Friday. We are going to the VACTERL Conference in Washington , DC! Can you say, Wow?! We've been going to the VACTERL Conference since Maggie was 9 months old. It is held every other year so this will be our 3rd conference. There we have met some wonderful families, all with their own stories and the whole experience is not something I can sum up into words. You have to be there to experience it and to know know what I am talking about. For those who usually can't make it they feel they are missing a party they can't come to.

They do a lot for the children while the parents sit back and listen and learn from speakers, who are usually doctors about various topics that many families with children with VACTERL deal with. But the fellowship with the other families is just completely and totally priceless. The friends that your child makes is priceless too. Its also really neat to see the kids at each stage of their life. Some families come with little babies , then toddlers, elementary age, teenagers and young and older adults with VACTERL. Its truly a humbling experience that you have to come and experience for yourself.
There still is a little time left to sign up to come. Just go to their website : www.vacterlnetwork.org and click on Events for all the info. If your near the area, stop by and say hello to everyone!

I know Tim is looking forward to seeing all the historical sites there. He is a true history /military buff. He was there when he was 16. As for me I've never been to Washington DC so this will be a new experience for me.
I'll admit one of the wonderful positives since having Maggie is that I've gotten out of my little world of Pennsylvania and out and about. I love it. I love to travel and love to go see new places. I really do. Marilyn is also looking forward to it too.
In 2009 we took Katie along, so this time its Marilyn's turn. I'm hoping for the next one we can take everyone. That's one of my goals, but if it doesn't happen we'll take Hannah with us in 2013.

Once we get back home I'll post all the pictures and I am looking forward to seeing old and new friends. I'm also excited that Maggie is old enough to start making some friends too.

1 comment:

Karissa said...

Hi, Tracy.

I just found your blog today, while looking at Workbox system ideas. I have 3 kids. We used a K12 hybrid school for one year, but now use Connections Academy. I was born with VACTERL also. (Back then it was just VATER's, though.) Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm enjoying your posts.